Saturday, June 20, 2009

Reflection

We are back in Nairobi safe and sound! This week yielded two main inferences that I have made. On top of great yet short relaxation, we had some extra time to read and reflect on the many thoughts that being in Africa has provoked.

First, the trip to Fort Jesus was awesome. However, it was almost stalled twice, once by the guards wanting to charge us the tourist price of 800 Shillings, which Beth negotiated down to the Kenyan resident price of 100 Shillings ($1.33). Then we got inside and they were going to let us look around on our own. If you have ever been to a historical site, it really lacks significance when you don't understand the landmarks or the meaning behind what you are looking at. This closely parallels confusion to our Christian walk. When ever you have a tour guide, or a mentor, it makes understanding the intricacies much easier. Luckily for us, there is a good example of this in the story of Paul’s relationship to Timothy. Paul gave many words of wisdom to Timothy, and it was reflected in his spiritual growth. Maybe if you are getting older, but aren’t too old to stop learning, you should have both a Paul and a Timothy in your life, that you can gain wisdom from and pass that on to a younger follower of Christ. I thought it was a neat connection, but as I’ve learned, there are few people on my wavelength so I’m sorry if I go on a Daniel tangent.

Secondly, give it all. Give all of yourself, all of your time, all of your effort, all of it. Frida touched me. She spent two days with us, talking, listening, and being with us. She left her awesome household to shepherd us, since we ‘needed’ a guardian. She made sure all of our needs were met, being a local of the area, when we probably could have made it on our own. Then she invited us in for dinner the next day, showing even more affection. The food was awesome as usual here, but they gave us more than what it looked like they could afford. I felt as if I’m not giving enough, when someone can do so much with so little. Inspiring. While at her house, she mentioned she was ashamed of the size. I tell you, if I am living in those conditions, with the amount of love that was shown by this family, the size of the house would be my last concern, God has expanded their boundaries in more meaningful ways. They had quality, that’s what I liked so much. They have five beautiful and ambitious children that could each light up the room with their smile. They have a God priority, shown by the way the children respect one another and their parents. These things just don’t come when you are foremost living the American dream, and they don’t come on accident. This is good parenting, in what most of us would call poor circumstances; however there is much we can take from what they do right.

Daniel

Ps: Please pray for me. I am making a tough decision on how to pay for medical school, loans vs Army for those who don't know. I want to hear what God has to say on the situation, but I'm being confused by what I want. Thanks so much for all your guys prayers and support, it means a whole lot to all of us!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you Daniel! I think about you all the time and miss you tremendously. God will show your what decision he wants you to make. Look for His signs. Love you, brother! :)

    ReplyDelete